These rules are disclosed to clarify the various responsibilities of all community members here on Nox Aeternum. They shall be adhered to by everyone to ensure that our board runs smoothly and provides a fun and productive experience for all of our community members and visitors.
Terms of Service
1. Your relationship with Nox Aeternum
A. Nox Aeternum (“NA”) welcomes you and the services provided (defined below) are subject to you following the Terms of Service (“TOS”), which may be updated (defined below). A copy of the most update to date TOS may be found at http://aurora-nova.com/policy/. The material and services on “AN” are only accessible to individuals who are at least 18 years old.
B. Accepting terms
- By accessing and using NA's services you agree to and are bound to the terms and provisions of this TOS.
- By accessing and using NA's services you acknowledge that you are at least 18 years old.
- Recognize that NA will not be liable for any acts or omissions by you, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omission
- If there is any contradiction between what Additional Terms say and what this TOS says, then the Additional Terms takes precedence in relation to that Service.
C. These TOS, along with any Additional Terms, extend to the entire website, to include the site engine, forum, chat room and affiliate sites owned and operated as part of AN.
D. The TOS may be updated (define below) but it is the job of the user to keep up-to-date with the revisions and updates to policies.
- Continued use of the site and its services will be seen as further acceptance of the TOS.
- Continued use of the site and its services will be seen as further acceptance of any Additional Terms.
2. Copyright Notices
A. NA is based on the creations of White Wolf. NA claims no ownership over any of copyrighted materials and makes use of them in strict accordance with the guidelines presented under White Wolf’s Dark Pack Agreement and under the Fair Use Act (http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107).
B. NA strays from the White Wolf cannon in its setting and in the telling of its stories, and recognizes White Wolf’s possession of its intellectual and creative properties.
C. Icons currently in use on NA were made and owned by Wolf-Spoor (http://www.wolf-spoor.org/).
A. Site and Engine are defined as:
- Portal for the rest of the site
- Where users create accounts to
- log into the chat
- create characters
- User accounts on the engine
B. Chat is defined as:
- As any public rooms on the Digichat platform
- As any private rooms on the Digichat platform
- As any private message windows on the Digichat platform
C. The Forum is defined as:
- As any public post, or thread
- As any private message post or private message thread
- User accounts on the forum
D. Black Dog is defined as:
- Any and all role-playing scenes that is intended to be for adults (at least 18 years old)
- Such activities include but are not limited to:
- Scenes of detailed violence (e.g. torture, or murder);
- Scenes of Cyber Sex (“cybering”) and rape.
- In general, Black Dog darkens the aspects of the game, when characters or non-player characters (“NPC”) engage in the worst behavior of human nature.
E. In Character (“IC”) is defined as:
- Any action taken by NA IC login, a character, in a public chat room designed for IC play;
- Any actions taken by NA IC login, a character, in a private chat room designed for IC play;
- Any actions taken by a forum login, a user account, in a public forum thread designed for IC play;
- Any actions taken by a forum login, a user account, in a private forum designed for IC play;
- This does not extend to the “OOC Room” of the chat or any rooms marked out of character.
F. Out Of Character (“OOC”) is defined as:
- Any actions taken by NA IC login, a character, in the “OOC Room;”
- Any actions taken by NA IC login, a character, in any room designed for OOC purposes.
- Any actions taken by NA IC login, a character, in a private message chat window when play is not intended.
- Any action taken by anyone in any room designed for IC purposes when marked with OOC notation around the text, including but not limited to the following: “< >,” “(( )),” and “[ ];”
- Any actions taken by NA OOC login, am user account, in the “OOC Room;”
- Any actions taken by NA OOC login, a user account, in any room designed for OOC purposes;
- Any actions taken by NA OOC login, a user account in any room designed for IC purposes, with the following expectation(s) only:
- NA OOC login, a user account, logged into NA IC room if that user’s IC login is frozen/ghosting.
G. Meta-gaming is defined as:
- Taking OOC knowledge IC and using it to further NA IC agenda.
4. Description of Nox Aeternum Services
A. NA provides users with access to a collection of resources including communication tools, forums, chat software, database for account storage, database for character storage, experience point (“XP”) tracking system.
B. NA provides access to house rules, setting, site specific rules, TOS and updates to any of the aforementioned.
C. NA provides a staff whose duties include but are not limited to:
- running scenes;
- running storylines;
- writing storylines;
- writing settings;
- doing XP expenditures;
- agree to and obey staff conduct addendum.
D. Keep logs from the Digichat platform.
E. Keep logs from the forum and to use these logs as record keeping and to assist with the administration of the chat.
F. Users can expect from AN
- a safe role-playing environment where they are not discriminated against on NA OOC level by staff.
G. Should you feel discriminated you reserve the right to have another staff member:
- Run a scene;
- Address NA issue.
5. Revisions and Errata
A. All revisions will be recorded and noted in and on the following:
- A change log notation on the bottom of this document;
- A thread on NA forum.
B. Any changes to the TOS will include when they become active.
C. NA holds to the Ex Post Facto Law:
- No user can be punished for any action deemed to violate TOS if the action occurred before the revision.
- Any user undergoing warning or punishment under NA old system will be grandfathered in.
D. NA reserves the right to change the TOS without prior notice or notice after the change, beyond 5.A and 5.B.
E. It is not the duty of NA to notify you of any changes to the TOS, beyond 5.A and 5.B, and falls to you, the user, to keep up-to-date on these TOS.
6. Registration Obligations
A. In consideration of your use of NA's services you represent that you are at least 18 years old, agree to these TOS, and that you are not a person barred from receiving NA's services.
B. You agree to provide true and accurate information about yourself as prompted by NA's registration page.
C. That you recognize that Nox Aeternum is a Black Dog site; this includes all of its services.
A. All information you provide on NA's registration page will be kept confidential and private to the best of NA's abilities.
B. None of the information you provide NA's registration page will be sold, traded or given to any third party.
C. Any information you provide maybe transferred to future incarnations of NA should there be a change in hosting.
D. Not to publically post logs unless otherwise requested in writing by those affected in said logs.
8. Member Conduct
A. You understand that all information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages, tags, word files, or other materials (“Content”), whether publically posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such Content originated.
- This means you, and not AN, are entirely responsible for all content you post, uploaded, send via private message, or otherwise make available via the services provided by AN.
- This means you recognize that NA does not guarantee the quality, accuracy or integrity of such Content.
- You recognize you may be exposed to content that is adult or Black Dog in nature and that such material maybe offensive, indecent, or objectionable.
- You recognize that NA is not liable for the aforementioned.
- Posting of copy written materials is a violation of these TOS and will be removed as soon as the staff of NA have been made aware of such violations.
B. You agree not to use NA's services to:
- Post publically or privately transmit remarks of sexual, racist, prejudicial (to include but not limited to religious or bigoted) nature in any OOC fashion;
- Solicit or advertise for any other site or services;
- Publish publically or privately transmit copyrighted materials;
- Transmit the personal information of others without their knowledge and without their permission;
- Post publically or privately transmit of a purely antagonizing nature in any OOC fashion;
- Post publically or privately transmit messages of excessive profanity;
- Actions that are designed in some fashion to cause technical problems for any part of AN;
- Harm minors in anyway;
- Impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to NA official, affiliates, owners, staff members, programmers, agents, employees and partners, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- Post publically or privately transmit or otherwise make available Content that you do not have the right to make available under any law, contract, or fiduciary obligation or relationship.
- Stalk or otherwise harass another;
- Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law;
- Post publically or privately transmit anything specifically designed to test the limits of these rules, and/or;
- Furnishing links to other sites or locations that violate any of the aforementioned rules.
C. You acknowledge that NA may or may not pre-screen Content, but that NA shall have the right in their sole discretion to pre-screen, refuse, or remove any Content that is made available via the services provided by AN.
D. Any IC actions that occur that are of a sexual Black Dog nature must:
- Only be participated in by those at least 18 years old;
- All those participating must consent to play out the scene, should any player say “no” the scene stops or fades to black, screen shots of non-consent should be taken;
- All characters involved in the scene must be at least 18 years old, this includes any player ran NPCs and;
- Must occur in a private (read: locked) room.
E. Violations of sexual Black Dog terms include, but are not limited, to:
- Attempting to force another player into the scene and/or;
- Playing the scene out in a public room.
F. Any IC scenes involving scenes of violence that conform to a Black Dog nature occur in the World of Darkness, if a player does not feel comfortable they must inform the storyteller, or other player if it is a player ran scene, at the onset of the discomfort.
- No player shall be forced to play out a scene in detail or language that makes him or her uncomfortable.
- Using this as a means to escape combat or IC consequences is a violation of these TOS.
D. You shall not meta-game.
G. Avoiding IC consequences is a violation of these TOS.
- In lieu of playing out a scene a fast forward or fade to black may be used.
H. You shall not create multiple accounts with the intent to:
- “Stalk” or in another means harass;
- Create conflict of interests and/or;
- Escape punishment
J. You shall not create conflict of interests, this includes, but is not limited to:
- Attempts to either manipulate staff;
- Attempts to manipulate users on NA OOC level;
- Attempts to manipulate or avoid IC consequences;
- Attempts to manipulate or avoid OOC consequences and/or;
- Attempts to gain unfair IC advantages, by playing with yourself.
A. You agree to indemnity and hold NA and its subsidiaries, affiliates, owners, staff members, programmers, agents, employees and partners harmless from any claim or demand including reasonable attorneys’ fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of Content you submit, post, transmit, modify or otherwise make available through NA services, your use of NA services, your connection to AN, your violation of the TOS, or your violation of any rights of another.
10. No Commercial Reuse of Nox Aeternum Services
A. You shall not sell any Content from AN, or trade any services offered by AN. This means you agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, trade, or exploit for any commercial purposes, any portion or use of, or access to NA services.
A. You may terminate your NA account, any associated forum account, by submitting such a request to NA AN Admin.
B. You may request your character(s) be terminated by submitting such a request to NA Admin via private forum message or on the public character deletion thread.
C. NA may terminate your service without prior notice if:
- You attempt to hack AN;
- You attempt to disrupt the services provided by AN;
D. For violations of Black Dog rules, where you force another player into a Black Dog scene:
- First offense, a three-day site ban;
- Second offense, permanently loose the involved character involved and;
- Third offense, permanent site ban.
E. For violation of the TOS:
- First offense, a verbal warning given to you either in the chat or via a forum private message, or both, you have the right to call a meeting about this to discuss the matter and even have the warning over turned;
- Second offense, a one week ban for all PCs, you will be allowed to log in to the chat in your OOC login, and you have the right to call a meeting about this to discuss the matter and even have the warning over turned;
- Third Offense, a one month banning for all your PCs, you will be allowed to log in to the chat in your OOC login, and you have the right to call a meeting about this to discuss the matter and even have the warning over turned;
- Forth offense, a permanent banning from the site, you have the right to call a meeting about this to discuss the matter and even have the warning over turned;
- NA reserves the right to repeat or skip any of the above steps;
- NA reserves the right to only ban one PC for offences 2 and 3 and venue ban in place of forth offence.
- Administrators of NA reserve the right to review, revise and/or augment all punishments on a case by case basis to protect the rights of users and services provided by AN
THE GIST OF THE TOS
By registering this site and uses it services you agree to follow all terms and conditions. All players will be subject to rules created by the Venue STs and the Admin. Also by accepting the terms and conditions you accept that the owner, admin, and venue STs have no liability for situations that may arise from the actions of those individuals. You are reasonably liable for your actions.
The Administrators and Moderators of this site are responsible for the upkeep of the site and the enjoyment of the game for the players. As such players can have their characters deleted or banned from the site for doing any of the following offensive behaviors:
- OOC Sexual/Racist/Prejudices (including but not limited to religious, bigoted) Remarks
- Soliciting or Advertising
- Actions deemed to be offensive on NA OOC level by Admin, Venue STs, and Moderators.
- Posting your or other’s personal information, without permission
- Arguing (in NA attacking, unprofessional manner) with other players.
- This is a game, and that bears repeating over again, this is a game. As such there are players and characters. Players WILL NOT antagonize other players. Personal matters should not be taken in character. In character matters should not be taken into the real world. Why? Because THIS IS A GAME. If you cannot understand, accept, or get this key idea, please leave this webpage now.
Given the themes of this webpage and game, players are expected to be at least eighteen (18) years old and above. That is, all players must be of the age of 18 or above.
All Playable Characters need to be the age of 18 or above.
Original draft by: Princeps Noctis
Revised and Edited by: Radix
Approved by: Opal, Princeps Noctis, and Radix. #
- By accessing and using NA's services you agree to and are bound to the terms and provisions of this TOS.